Money in Gaming

Stream:

DM Ballin Dog

Captain
Console: Headset:
August 21, 2011

Team Na`Vi has just won one million dollars playing in Valve's Dota 2 tournament. The Ukranian team edged out team EHOME of China, who won $250,000 as the runner-up. Our own Andy Burnes was at the Cologne, Germany-based event and conducted an interview with the happy (but exhausted) team following their historic win.

[YOUTUBE]o8z9D0age3Y[/YOUTUBE]

When asked how it felt to win the unprecedented tournament and the grand prize, Na`Vi team member Ivanov "Puppey" Clement exclaimed in a delighted but exhausted tone, "...remarkable." He added, "I'm so tired from playing these games I can't express my feelings right now. I really can't." Even though the team was clearly drained from the five intense days of competition, Puppey teased that they were still going to forego sleep in favor of partying.

Playing a best-out-of-five championship round, Na`Vi clutched victory with a three and one win over their Chinese opponents.

Housing 16 different teams across world, Valve's Dota 2 tournament was both epic in scope and monetary reward. The one million dollar prize sets the record for most money awarded in an e-sport tournament to date. In addition to the large sum of cash, all members of Na`Vi will receive NVIDIA Tegra 2-powered tablets skinned with their team's logo.

But giving away goodies to the winners wasn't NVIDIA's only contribution to the event. Partnering with Valve, NVIDIA provided GeForce graphics cards to power all the Dota 2 gaming rigs.

You'll be able to test out your GeForce setup running Dota 2 during the game's upcoming beta. To learn more about how you can sign up for it, visit the game's official website.