Sony implementing serial key? Duke Nukem and Mortal Kombat news!

Stream:

DM xDarkKx

The Senior Elite
Console: Headset:
Rumor: Sony to implement PC-style serial key system for PS3

A source close to PS3-sense is claiming Sony will introduce a serial key system for PS3 games, like the one already in place with PC games.

According to the site’s source, this is Sony’s way of closing the backdoor to its system, which was blown wide open by hacker GeoHot earlier this month.
The source said that new games released for PS3 will include a unique serial key related to the specific disc, which then must be entered for verification before the game can be played. The key can be entered up to five times before it becomes useless.
If true, this has at least two implications for genuine consumers: it will restrict how many time a game can be authenticated, not to mention the impact it will have on used PS3 game sales.
Sony has supposedly already updated PS3’s firmware with the new protection system, and is working on implementing it with new games coming out.
Older games without the new system will, of course, still work without serial key authentication.
We’ve sent a mail to Sony asking for confirmation.

Source: vg247.com

Mortal Kombat confirmed for April 18 UK launch

Warner’s just confirmed an April 18 UK launch for the reboot of Mortal Kombat.

The Netherealm fighter, announced at E3 last June, will go on sale on “Mortal Monday”, according to the publisher, at midnight in the UK.
The company’s also released a new trailer and boxart.

This one is for duke and the other duke nukem fans :0
Duke Nukem Forever confirmed for May 3 in US and May 6 elsewhere, trailer released

Pigs really are flying now.

Gearbox has announced, that Duke Nukem: Forever will finally launch on May 3 in the US and May 6 elsewhere.
The date brings to an end a 13-year development cycle for one of the most-talked about games ever.
Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford first hinted at the news last night on Twitter.
“The moment fans all over the world have been waiting for is almost here,” said 2K boss, Christoph Hartmann. “May 3, 2011 marks Duke’s return as he unleashes his brash and brutally honest wit on the world. His return is going to be epic and one that will make video gaming history.”
“When I said goodbye to 3D Realms and the original Duke Nukem 3D team in 1997 and soon after founded Gearbox Software, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that a day like today would come,” said Gearbox president Randy Pitchford. “Today I am proud, humbled and even astounded to announce that the day is coming at last for all gamers to be a part of video game history: Duke Nukem Forever will launch worldwide this May.”
Following a period where it was thought that DNF had finally died a death, Gearbox announced it had taken over development of the title at PAX in Seattle last September.
It was further confirmed at the event that the Texas developer had taken over full IP control of the Duke Nukem franchise.
Pitchford explained to VG247’s Stephany Nunneley how he managed to salvage the game from what was previously made by 3DRealms.

The shooter will release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. A couple new screens, game features, the packshots, and the trailer are below. Enjoy.

• Return of the King of All Shooters: He’s back, baby! The King of All Shooters returns in an explosive and action packed shooter that puts pedal to the metal and tongue firmly in cheek, among other places. Kick ass from the Vegas Strip to the Hoover Dam all while serenading your ears with your favorite Duke-isms.

• Interact With the World, the Duke Way: Experience a fully interactive and immersive look into Duke’s world. Shoot hoops, lift weights, read adult magazines, draw crude messages on white boards or ogle one of the many beautiful women that populate Duke’s life; that is if you can pull yourself away long enough from kicking ass and taking names.

• Kick-Ass Arsenal Brings Puts the F-U Into Fun: Obliterate enemies in style while giving them the Duke Nukem one finger salute. Prepare to shoot enemies in the face with a bad-ass

EDIT:
Killzone 3 open beta coming to PSN February 2 in US, February 3 in Europe

Sony has announced PSN users will be able to download and play the Killzone 3 open beta on February 2 in the US and February 3 in Europe.

This Beta will offer exclusive early access to the MP05 ‘Frozen Dam’ multiplayer level from Killzone 3, including all three online multiplayer modes – Guerrilla Warfare, Warzone and Operations – as well as the offline multiplayer mode, Botzone.
These are the four multiplayer modes included with the Open Beta:

• Guerrilla Warfare (16 players): Guerrilla Warfare is a standalone multiplayer mode similar to classic Team Deathmatch: You and your teammates must try to kill as many of the opposing team as you can before the timer runs out. In this mode, only the downstream monitor houses and repair bay are accessible, giving the map a very frantic pace.

• Warzone (24 players): If you’ve played Killzone 2, you may already be familiar with Warzone. It’s a round-based multiplayer campaign that consists of five randomly ordered mini-missions. In this mode the power house and penstocks directly under the dam are accessible as well, so there’s more room to come up with different strategies and approaches to your goal.

• Operations (16 players): Operations is a new multiplayer campaign which aims to deliver a more cinematic, story-based gameplay experience, similar to that of Killzone 3′s single-player mode. It consists of a sequence of linear mini-missions, in which the ISA must try to secure the docks and destroy the dam, while the Helghast must try to protect the dam facility.

• Botzone (one player and up to 15 bots): Botzone is an offline multiplayer mode ideal for those looking to get to grips with the controls, the weapons or the map layout before going up against live players. Each of the aforementioned multiplayer modes can be played offline, against CPU-controlled opponents.
Sony announced earlier in the week those who purchase specially marked packages of Killzone 3 will get access to the SOCOM 4 multiplayer beta as well, with Sony Europe confirming the SOCOM Special Forces (SOCOM 4) beta will arrive in the UK as well.
It’s just beta-riffic around Sony headquarters lately.
Killzone 3 hits on February 23 in Europe, and February 25 in the UK.
Get more information on the beta over on the EU PS Blog or the US PS Blog.

Stream:

DM Deathrow

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:lime;backgroun
Interesting news on the serial key. They know it's blown open, they are just trying to protect third party software from being pirated.

The point of a finite system is to ensure that the industry makes money from the work they put in. However, when it becomes completely exposed, it just becomes another PC and this is how the PS3 is now.

Stream:

DM Psycotic

Motherlovers....UNITE!
Founding Member
fuck.... If sony does do the serial key thing, then there is gonna be a MASSIVE drop in sales of most games. If they go ahead with the rumored plan, then they will have to drop the price of the games. I dont think they are gonna wanna do that. They have a choice.... Drop the prices and be "protected", or lose money due to the drop in sales.....

Stream:

DM xDarkKx

The Senior Elite
@Fil: www.vg247.com
@Psy: I know they shouldnt do this, They need some better security from the jailbreaking shit. I say, Brick every ps3 console that has been jailbreaked. (I just hope yours doesnt get bricked lol).

Stream:

DM Psycotic

Motherlovers....UNITE!
Founding Member
@Fil: www.vg247.com
@Psy: I know they shouldnt do this, They need some better security from the jailbreaking shit. I say, Brick every ps3 console that has been jailbreaked. (I just hope yours doesnt get bricked lol).
they cant do that either...
imagine how many lawsuits they gonna have to deal with...
Also, if they brick every ps3, theres gonna be a large decrease in sales, once again, and also a decrease in people playing games and shit.

what they should do is send a message to everyone to update their ps3, or else they will lose their privilege to play online.
and then, to those who dont update for a week, will receive a message that fills the whole screen: YOU JUST GOT OWNED. Please update your ps3, or you wont be able to use this system.
and boom. problem solved.
basically, its a virus, that does it...
OR, they just update it for us. Make the update small, so that it wont require any downloading time, or we wont have to restart, so then we wont be able to notice it. then, a hacker goes online, tries to hack, OWNED.

Stream:

DM ViSiioNaRY

Founding Member
lol maybe they can solve this but they just need to do it legaly and maybe thats the problem :D

Stream:

DM Major Meat

Founder
Addict
those who dont update for a week, will receive a message that fills the whole screen: YOU JUST GOT OWNED. Please update your ps3, or you wont be able to use this system.
Then they would have lawsuits from people like me, Who only turn on their P3s once a year :)

It would be like buying a car, parking it in the garage for the winter months... Then finding out it doesn't work when you try to fire it up in the spring.

This is a HUGE problem for them. Hope they get it figured out. They may have to come out with a ps4 to fix this problem Diplomatically.

Or do i smell no more free on-line coming to the ps3?

Stream:

DM Psycotic

Motherlovers....UNITE!
Founding Member
Then they would have lawsuits from people like me, Who only turn on their P3s once a year :)

It would be like buying a car, parking it in the garage for the winter months... Then finding out it doesn't work when you try to fire it up in the spring.

This is a HUGE problem for them. Hope they get it figured out. They may have to come out with a ps4 to fix this problem Diplomatically.

Or do i smell no more free on-line coming to the ps3?
thats a good point, however the easy option is to simply notify everyone. in some way, through email, through mail, through tv, radio, internet, etc...

but its your own fault really, if you have it jailbroken. you sign the terms and agreements, so ur supposed to keep by your promises.
Plus, seeing as you dont turn it on that much, i have come to an assumption that you havent got it jailbroken. Pretty much only hardcore gamers, that play most the hours of the day have it jailbroken. thats why they want to jailbreak the damn thing;p
What i meant was a patch. they can simply send the patch out to every console, to override the jailbreak.

Stream:

OUTL4W

gotta light?
Admin
Founder
Addict
You're allowed to use the serial key up to 5x....that'll really cut into the 2nd hand re-sale market of ps3 games won't it?

Stream:

DM Psycotic

Motherlovers....UNITE!
Founding Member
You're allowed to use the serial key up to 5x....that'll really cut into the 2nd hand re-sale market of ps3 games won't it?
yeah. so, they should drop the prices of games so that instead of buying it second hand, you just buy it for the same price, but brand new!

Stream:

DM xDarkKx

The Senior Elite
thats a good point, however the easy option is to simply notify everyone. in some way, through email, through mail, through tv, radio, internet, etc...

but its your own fault really, if you have it jailbroken. you sign the terms and agreements, so ur supposed to keep by your promises.
Plus, seeing as you dont turn it on that much, i have come to an assumption that you havent got it jailbroken. Pretty much only hardcore gamers, that play most the hours of the day have it jailbroken. thats why they want to jailbreak the damn thing;p
What i meant was a patch. they can simply send the patch out to every console, to override the jailbreak.
Im a hardcore player, but I dont wanna jailbreak my ps3 xD.

Stream:

DM Major Meat

Founder
Addict

Excellent point L4W, It would kill the second hand market. They would have to hand out new key gens with every second hand game....sorta like xbl 48hr trials.

Stream:

DM FlyMEXboy

DM mohh1 OG
Founding Member
Psy.... Idk were u got your marketing knowledge from but that would be stupid. Ur gonna sell a product with more protection for less? Sony wont drop the prices and the reason places like GAMESTOP have so much money is due to resales and ripping ur ass off when they buy ur games. Sony most likely did this for two reasons so that people are encouraged to buy it new and the money went to the developers that put work into it and for the security reason.

Stream:

DM KNIGHTParikh

KAMIKAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Founding Member
Agreed with Riddler.

If anything, it would increase sales -_-.