Posted by Tom Blaz on 08/04/2013 | 0 Comments
Tags: Mike Olt, Nick Delmonico, Grant Green, Avisail Garcia, Cory Rasmus, C.J. Edwards, Josh Hader, Corey Black
The Major League Baseball trading deadline was largely a disappointment for baseball and fantasy fans alike. While a host of August "waiver" deals are expected, there was a lack of movement of impact players by the end of July. We take a look at the prospects that were dealt over the ten days leading up to the deadline from the Matt Garza deal to Jake Peavy changing Sox.
Have an iPhone or iPad? *Get the #1 selling*Fantasy Sports*tool this season! *Fantasy Alarm's award winning 2013 Fantasy Baseball App!
Football is BACK!! Check out our 2013 Fantasy Football Rankings NOW to be ahead of your competition.*
Mike Olt 1B Chicago Cubs- Big time power prospect had brief trial with Rangers, but probably needed a change of scenery. Acquired from Rangers as part of package that sent Matt Garza to Texas. Olt has recovered from early season vision problems and should soon arrive in the Windy City.
Nick Delmonico 1B Milwaukee Brewers- Delmonico was acquired from Baltimore in the Francisco Rodriguez deal. Delmonico has a solid left handed bat, but quesiton marks surrounding his glove. The former sixth round pick has been struggling in High-A, but has hit 13 home runs.
Grant Green 2B LA Angels- Former first round pick got his first taste of major league action in Oakland last month. Was sent to the Angels for infielder Alberto Callaspo. In 87 games at Triple-A Sacramento before the trade, Green hit .325 with eleven home runs and 50 RBI.
Avisail Garcia OF Chicago White Sox- Sought after prospect was key part of package that sent veteran Jake Peavy to Boston. Garcia is expected to step into the right field job when Alex Rios is dealt. Garcia has been ripping Triple-A pitching, hitting .375 with six home runs and 27 RBI.
Cory Rasmus LA Angels- Not to be confused with brother Colby (Toronto OF), Cory was acquired in deal that sent reliever Scott Downs to Atlanta. Selected 38th overall in the 2006 MLB draft, Rasmus has been very effective in Triple-A this season with a sub 1.70 ERA.
C.J. Edwards Chicago Cubs- The 21 year old Edwards projects as a mid-rotation starter and was part of package that sent Garza to Rangers. Currently dominating in A-ball, Edwards was the 48th selection of the 2011 draft. Edwards has 130 strikeouts in 98 innings this season.
Josh Hader Houston Astros- Hader and outfielder L.J. Hoes arrived as payment for Bud Norris who was dealt to Baltimore. Hader burst into the Orioles top prospect list this season after a strong display at spring training. He's a 6'3" lefthander with nasty stuff.
Corey Black Chicago Cubs- The 21 year old Black is a potential closer, acquired from the New York Yankees in the Alfonso Soriano deal. Although short in stature at 5'11", Black has plenty of heat- touching 100 on the radar gun. Expect Black to be converted from starter to the bullpen.
Listen to The Fantasy Alarm Show*Tuesday-Friday*10 PM -1 AM EST & Sundays 4-7 PM EST*on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio XM channel 87/Sirius 210.* We want to hear from you!* 888-XM-FANTASY (963-2682)
Tom Blaz is a writer for Fantasy Alarm and co-owner of The Recruiting Eagle a website focusing on Auburn University Athletics. Follow Tom @RecruitingEagle
[HR][/HR][h=3]Explore Related Content[/h]
- 2013 Fantasy Baseball Waiver Pickups: Week Nineteen
- 2 Start Pitchers Week 19 2013
- Pitch and Ditch Week 18
- Rounding the Bases: The Thursday Fantasy Round-Up
- Master Notes From Todd Zola - Ho Hum at The Trade Deadline & Other Thoughts From His Lordness
- Rounding the Bases: Trade Deadline Ends With a Whimper
- Rounding the Bases: Where Do We Stand?
- Rounding the Bases: Veras Dealt Out, Pujols Dinged Up and A-Rod Maybe Just Done
- Rounding the Bases: Archer, Scherzer, Drew & The Rest of the Saturday Fantasy Round-Up
- 2 Start Pitchers Week 18 2013
- Rounding the Bases: Mark Buehrle, Junior Lake and More A-Rod Drama
- Master Notes From Todd Zola
- 2013 Fantasy Baseball Waiver Pickups: Week Eighteen
- Pitch & Ditch Week 17
- The Farm Report: Minor League Baseball Coverage From A Fantasy Perspecitve (Prospect Bonanza)
- Rounding the Bases: Hudson Hurt, Hosmer Hot and Other Wednesday Highlights
- Rounding the Bases: Puig, Marte, Gomez & Cespedes
- Rounding the Bases: BOOM Goes the Dynamite
- Rounding the Bases: Baffled By Bartolo and Other Sunday Highlights
- Rounding the Bases: Saturday Highlights and Prepping For the Trade Deadline