Out This Week: October 14, 2013

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
With so many new games and movies coming out, it can be hard to keep up. Lucky for you, IGN is here to help with a weekly round-up of the biggest releases each and every week. Check out the latest releases for the week of October 14, 2013, and be sure to come back next Monday for a new update.
Note: The prices and deals compiled below are accurate at the time we published this story, but all are subject to change.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Season Five

Release Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2013
From our Review:*Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Season 5 was a notable year for the series. While there were some ups and downs, there were also big, memorable events that occurred, including multiple notable deaths and a huge shift in the finale that did indeed “change thing forever.”
Pacific Rim

From our Review:*Pacific Rim is, as you might expect, a visual extravaganza brimming with lush colors, state-of-the-art CGI effects and the promised robots on monsters hard-core fights to the death. If the world were a cage, this would be the underground, "the rules are there are no rules," cage fight to end all cage fights.
Valhalla Knights 3

From our Preview:*Yikes. Valhalla Knights 3 is yet another Monster Hunter clone that’s not quite Monster Hunter, and I wasn’t impressed with the few minutes I spent with the game. It’s abstract to a fault, difficult to control, and sloppily presented. I did appreciate its approach to battles, which is less wide open and more contained and in-the-moment, but I couldn’t imagine why you’d play this when something like Soul Sacrifice is available for Vita. It’s due out later this fall or winter, and I’ll be interested to see if the game improves between now and then.

Our picks above are the most notable game and movie releases for this week, but if you look just a bit further into the future, you'll find plenty more gaming goodness coming along in the month ahead. Hit up these links in Pre-Order Corner to go ahead and put your money down on these surefire hits, scheduled to arrive within the next month:
Batman: Arkham Origins

Release Date: Friday, October 25, 2013
From our Preview:*During a recent Batman: Arkham Origins demo in New York City, I often felt as though I was receiving a pre-fight pep talk rather than a gameplay preview. “It’s not enough to just mash the buttons and counter once in a while…we want you to be doing quick-fire gadgets, dodges, grapples, slams, the works; we want you to be getting 50-60 hit combos.” began Ben Mattes, senior producer of the franchise’s forthcoming prequel chapter.
While the enthusiastic developer made me feel like a pressured prizefighter before a big bout, he was really just trying to prepare me for the title’s fresh take on the series’ satisfying free-flow combat system.
Wii Party U

Release Date: Friday, October 25, 2013

• See it on Amazon for $49.96 (Wii U Disc + Wii Remote Plus Controller + Wii U GamePad Horizontal Stand)
From the Announcement:*(Wii Party U) will offer a variety of different activities, including some that only use the GamePad. Examples shown during the presentation included a dice-rolling game and a baseball mini game that let two players use opposite sides of the GamePad (one using the face buttons and one using the D-Pad).
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Release Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2013
From our First Look:*. . . at this point, Assassin’s Creed IV has the staff a bit divided. Greg, as you can tell from the Up at Noon video above, loves the game. Goldfarb and McCaffrey, meanwhile, loved some parts and were concerned about others. We’ll have a much better picture of exactly what kind of Creed this is – the ACII kind, the ACIII kind, or somewhere in between – when we get the final (current-gen) review version very soon.
Battlefield 4

Release Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2013
From our Preview:*With the arrival of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, EA and DICE have promised to bring the Battlefield PC experience to consoles, including massive scale maps, 64 player matches, and 60 frames-per-second gameplay. But up until now, all of the demos we've seen of Battlefield 4 have been running on supercharged PCs, producing jaw-dropping, unsurprisingly gorgeous results. This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.
Call of Duty: Ghosts

Release Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2013
From our Blitz Mode Hands-On:*Blitz is a creative play on Capture the Flag, but instead of having to capture and ferry a flag from the enemy team to areas on opposite sides of the map, players must fight there way into small capture points. When a player scores by entering the opposing team's zone, they are immediately warped back to their spawn. In order to prevent the scoring team from cycling players through a portal to rack up points quickly, the capture point goes into a brief cool down, giving a defending team an opportunity to clear the area.
Be sure to check back at the beginning of every week for a round-up of the week's hottest game and movie releases.
You can follow Lucas M. Thomas on Twitter, @lucasmthomas.

More...