Out This Week: February 17, 2014

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
With so many new games and movies coming out, it can be hard to keep up. Lucky for you, IGN is here to help with a weekly round-up of the biggest releases each and every week. Check out the latest releases for this week, and be sure to come back next Monday for a new update.
Note: The prices and deals compiled below are accurate at the time we published this story, but all are subject to change.

Release Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2014

From our Review:*"The most remarkable thing about Rayman Legends is how consistently it introduces new and unpredictable ideas over its roughly 12 hours. This beautifully animated co-op game tosses dozens of inventive ideas into the mix, proving there's still room for exciting creativity in the platforming genre. Naturally, Rayman starts out with simple running, jumping, and punching, but before you know it you’re sneaking past dozens of deadly traps, battling huge bosses, or playing through awesome challenge levels that look like '90s music videos. Every time I thought I found a personal favorite stage, the next one came along and replaced it."

Release Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 (PS3, PS4) & Tuesday, February 25, 2014 (PC)
Read the Standalone Announcement.*Originally released as a DLC expansion for Ubisoft's pirate adventure, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag back in December, Freedom Cry will now be made available as a standalone experience that doesn't require you to own the main game to play it. Freedom Cry is a four-plus hour adventure of nine missions featuring a new assassin character, Edward Kenway's first mate Adewale. It explores what happens to Adewale fifteen years after he finds freedom from slavery onboard Kenway's ship, on his own but trained in the art of assassination.

From our Preview:*"EDF foregoes graphical beauty in favor of rendering hundreds of giant bugs, killer robots, and destructible buildings. When I was a kid and imagined the future of video games, it looked a lot like Earth Defense Force. A word of caution: If you want pretty visuals or a deep multiplayer experience, look elsewhere."

Release Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 for $14.99 (PS3, PS4) & Wednesday, February 19, 2014 for $14.99 (PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
From our Hands-On:*"It took me about five seconds of playing Strider HD last week before I realized that it was a game that I was going to sink a good amount of time into. That’s not to say that I wasn’t excited when the first trailer hit a few months ago at Comic-Con – it was actually one of the few genuine surprises of the show. But what that unexpected look at the HD reimagining couldn’t capture was that intangible quality of just how great the game feels."

From our Review:*"With themes of 'nobles vs. the oppressed citizenry,' and the true nature of leadership, Game of Thrones' Season 3 shocked us, wowed us and gave us some extra jagged and unforeseeable turns. It also, unfortunately, left us a little high and dry with the finale, which didn't properly cap off the excellent Jaime/Brienne storyline and offered us no final moments with any of the Tyrells, who had been so prominent, almost to a fault, during the first half of the season."

This latest animated take on the Dark Knight was airing as part of Cartoon Network's DC Nation programming block just a couple of months ago, but was unceremoniously pulled from the cable network's schedule. Its fate has been unknown ever since, but while we wait to learn whether or not it will ever see more episodes aired, its first set of 13 adventures is coming to Blu-ray and DVD this week.

Release Date: Friday, February 21, 2014

From our Review:*"Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great platformer full of tense sequences and tough levels. Boss battles are a huge highlight, and it’s packed with hard-to-find secrets and collectibles. Multiplayer could use some improvement, but I found myself laughing whenever my teammate and I wiped out on some of these unforgiving setups. But a rewarding sense of accomplishment stuck with me each time I overcame a new obstacle, and that feeling kept me going all the way to the end."

Our picks above are the most notable game and movie releases for this week, but if you look just a bit further into the future, you'll find plenty more gaming goodness coming along in the month ahead. Hit up these links in Pre-Order Corner to go ahead and put your money down on these surefire hits, scheduled to arrive within the next month:

Release Date: Friday, February 28, 2014

From our Review:*"So. Farewell then, Hershel Layton. Six games of puzzling, investigation and tea drinking, and the professor is hanging up his iconic silk top hat. It’s a bittersweet ending - there are moments of invention in Azran Legacy that suggest he could carry on for a while yet, even if the studio’s puzzle guru Akira Tago must surely be running out of riddles. And yet, perhaps it’s the right time to bow out, before its formula grows stale. Besides, I’m sure Layton would acknowledge that leaving before your guests tire of your presence is surely the gentlemanly thing to do."

Release Date: Tuesday, March 4, 2014

From our Hands-On:*"How happy does South Park: The Stick of Truth make me? Put it this way: I played it for two-and-a-half hours and didn’t even complete the first main story quest you’re given. Instead, I giddily wandered through the streets of the quirky Colorado mountain town as my custom-created “new kid,” talking to everyone I met, entering every house and building I could, and searching every nook and cranny for loot. And I didn’t even finish exploring. Not even close."
Be sure to check back at the beginning of every week for a round-up of the week's hottest game and movie releases.
You can follow Lucas M. Thomas on Twitter, @lucasmthomas.

More...