Xenonauts Review

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Reviewed on PC
→ August 6, 2014I imagine that for anyone who didn’t spend their formative gaming years playing 1994’s turn-based tactical classic X-COM: UFO Defense, jumping into Xenonauts - an extremely faithful remake from an independent developer - might feel like that dream in which you have to take the final exam for a class you skipped all semester. Except on this test, every time you get an answer wrong the professor executes someone you care about in cold blood. And you’re not wearing pants.
Do I recommend it? Absolutely. Is there a lineup of caveats longer than my enormous casualty list? Yes there is.
In most respects - perhaps too many - Xenonauts is the X-COM follow-up we should’ve had in 1998. Structurally, it nails almost all of what makes X-COM my favorite game of all time, and kept me largely happy for the roughly 80 hours I’ve played. (An average campaign will take roughly 15 or 20 hours.) Building a base to research and manufacture advanced weaponry on the global strategic level, then using that weaponry to kill aliens in the squad-based tactical mode on randomized, destructible maps and bring back their technology for further development ties the two together in numerous interesting ways. The fact that each of your renamable soldiers is an extremely fragile mortal that can be permanently struck down in an instant by a plasma bolt from the darkness or turned into a zombie with a single touch adds an incredible high-stakes tension. (If someone dies in tactical combat, they’re dead on the strategic layer, too.) So does the way the flexible time unit system puts every step they take in your direct control.
Survival requires intense attention to detail and resource management, and almost every decision feels weighty. Should you spend a big chunk of money on a new base to protect more of your funding countries with radar and interceptors to protect your cash flow, or do you hire a large team of scientists and engineers to accelerate your technological development? Do you concentrate on developing weaponry for a strong offense, or tough armor for a strong defense? Xenonauts even gives a few new options for both, with gear like riot shields that make equipping stun batons (for taking enemies alive) less of a suicide mission, and actual shotguns, sniper rifles, and heavy machine guns make arming a soldier to complement his unique stats, like strength, time units (aka speed), and bravery something you have to consider.
And yet for an update to a classic that aims to bring that gameplay to a new modern audience, Xenonauts is disappointingly unambitious and unpolished in a lot of ways. For example: it’s drab-looking, and that criticism has nothing to do with it being a 2D, sprite-based game. There’s some cool concept art showing detailed lizard men and chryssalid stand-ins (called reapers) that you’ll see in the research and database screens, but the characters on the tactical battlefields are tiny and lacking in personality in both design and animation. I’ve been running Xenonauts at 1366x768 and blown it up to fit my 1920x1080 screen - it still doesn’t give these tiny sprites anywhere near the character of the big-headed sectoids of old, since they’re still undetailed and mostly bland, but it at least makes them big enough on screen that they feel important.

They all look like ants from up here.

Xenonauts also embraces X-COM’s legendary difficulty, though it goes a little overboard by correcting several of the classic’s favorable imbalances (manufacturing laser rifles for cash, super-powered psi soldiers, and waypoint-programmable Blaster Launchers) without scaling back the alien threat to compensate. Challenge is great, but as someone who beat X-COM: Terror From The Deep on Superhuman (though I did not ironman it), I found Xenonauts punishingly brutal on the Veteran difficulty described as being tuned for people who’d played X-COM. Eventually I was forced to turn it down to Normal; even then, it’s no joke.
Getting over the initial hump of catching up to the aliens technologically is a major battle, and avoiding casualties long enough to get some veteran soldiers isn’t easy. Losing even one or two experienced troops per mission and having to replace them with green recruits makes it difficult to gain momentum.
It’s particularly difficult because Xenonauts does a terrible job of telling you important stuff, like whether you’re actually benefiting from cover (corners, for example, don’t do squat). It’s awful at showing you where your annoyingly inaccurate grenade tosses actually land, so you should probably just run in case it landed at your feet. Oftentimes you’re shown that you have line-of-sight on an enemy, but can’t shoot them for unknown reasons - rounded objects (the landed UFOs) are especially hard to shoot around. When someone gets killed, it doesn’t tell you who it was until the end of the mission - it just hides their portrait and makes you use the process of elimination to figure it out.
I do like where Xenonauts was going with its entirely original UFO-interception minigame. It’s a simple pausable real-time tactics challenge about maneuvering up to three planes on a 2D battlefield, so that your planes remain outside the enemy’s firing arcs while keeping their targets in their own sights. It doesn’t have nearly enough variety or staying power to keep my finger away from that auto-resolve button, however, and about 95 percent of the time an engagement is a foregone conclusion anyway.

We probably don't need to play this one out.

It also brings about the most frequent and annoying information display problem in Xenonauts: after you use an interceptor to shoot down a UFO, it has to return to base to repair, refuel, and rearm before it can attack another UFO. How long does that take? It’s hard to say: first it repairs, with an estimated completion in hours. Then it refuels, also in hours. Then it reloads, which is displayed as a percentage. When it’s done, it doesn’t tell you. You’re forced to speed up time, stop it, check to see if it’s done, and then do it again until it’s ready.
Even so, as a long-time X-COM veteran, I had a pretty good idea of how things work in Xenonauts, so I was able to work past most of these issues and even a few crashes to desktop and one game-ending glitch where my soldiers were trapped in limbo, and have a generally great time with it. The problem comes in recommending it to people who don’t have my experience, because they are probably going to have an awful time learning the whole not-getting-massacred thing. Sure, Xenonauts comes with a five-page “Quick-Start Guide” PDF and a few in-game tooltip pop-ups, but when you compare that to the 133-page X-COM: UFO Defense manual that’s basically required reading to understand these basic concepts, it’s simply inadequate.

More...