Stream:

OUTL4W

gotta light?
Admin
Founder
Addict
Console: Headset:
Hey [You]

Microsoft's attempt to clarify Xbox One's game ownership and used game policy has left one thing clear - that there are more questions. We've tried to explain the do's and don'ts of Xbox One's policies below, applying the confirmed policies to a variety of real-world scenarios e.g. What exactly do you need to do to buy a new Xbox One game and play it online with your friends?

We also look at potential loopholes, and the key unanswered questions.Microsoft's Xbox One pre-owned policies might present few problems in reality, and their intentions aren't necessarily based on pure greed, but the realities of the AAA game retail market and changing business models. However, it's hard to argue that their confused messaging has been anything short of regrettable, if not disastrous.

All the key details of Microsoft's game ownership policy are outlined below, plus how they relate to a series of real world scenarios.[/FONT]

HOW DO I BUY AND PLAY XBOX ONE GAMES?

1) Buy the game from a traditional retailer - or online via Xbox Live: The official Xbox Wire suggests that every Xbox One release will be available on disc or through digital on the day of release, though this isn't crystal clear.
2) Install the game to your Xbox One hard drive: This is essential. Once the game is installed, you don't need to keep the disc in your drive to play it.
3) Log in and register your game online via Xbox Live: A one off activation is required.
4) Log in online at least once a day: You need to log in once every 24 hours to keep playing your games.

WHAT YOU DON'T NEED TO DO:

1) Keep the disc in your drive once the game is installed: However, you will probably need the physical disc if you want to perform a trade in with a traditional retailer.
2) Stay logged in at all times: Once installed and registered, people can play games on your console whether you're signed in or not. However, you do need to go online once every 24 hours.
3) Be online to watch live TV, Blu-ray or DVD movies: Only games require the once-a-day online connection to work.

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?

• You don't own your games. You license them. (which is what you do now any way)
  • Discs are purely for installation purposes and are not a proof of ownership
  • You can authorize up to ten people to play these games on a different Xbox One (who can download the game to their hard drive via the cloud) - but they can't play at the same time. Only one user can play your game at any one time, similar to iTunes
  • You need to check in online once a day if playing on your console, but this reduces to once an hour if you play your game on a friend's console
  • It won't be possible to loan or rent games at launch. Microsoft will provide updates on when it becomes available.
  • You can give - or gift - a game you own to a friend for free, but you can do this only once. Your friend has to be on your friends list for 30 days for this to work.
  • Publishers choose whether you're allowed to give a friend your game as a gift.
  • Publishers choose whether you're able to trade in your game for cash or credit at a participating retailer
  • Microsoft does not charge a platform to retailers, publishers or consumers for performing trade-ins i.e. they're effectively leaving it to those parties to sort it out among themselves.
  • Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services as Xbox One develops. They may cease to offer certain products or services for similar reasons.
WHAT MICROSOFT NEEDS TO MAKE CLEAR:

• If I buy a game through Xbox Live, do I pay with real money (£ or $ etc), or with MS points?
  • Will Xbox One store my card / credit card details permanently, accessed with a password, like on the Apple Store?
  • Will I need to manually input, or choose from a list, the ten people who are allowed to play my games on a different Xbox One console via the cloud?
  • Which traditional retailers are officially approved to perform trade-ins? E.g. GameStop or GAME
  • Will you be able to trade a digital copy for cash or credit? Will this be at the same rates as a disc-based copy?
  • How will Microsoft decide to terminate, or alter the terms, of their products and services? For example, EA recently switched off the Skate 3 online servers, but the game is still playable offline. If Microsoft turn off, say, the Skate 4 online servers, will the game still work offline given the need to check in once every 24 hours, or every hour at a friend's house?
  • How will my Xbox One remind me if I've forgotten to log in online once a day? Will it force me online? Or suggest that I do via a pop up message?
  • How much will Xbox games cost? Will games on physical discs cost the same as buying a game online via Xbox Live?
  • How much will I get - in cash or credit - if I trade in an Xbox One game?
  • How will the pre-owned market depreciate over time? For example, will shops have the power to reduce the cost of a pre-owned game if it is old and relatively unpopular - or will they require approval from the publisher?
  • Will every Xbox One game be available on disc and via digital on Xbox Live on release date? This is implied, but will there be exceptions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

update

Xbox One 24 hour check-in, used policies, more dropped

Microsoft has confirmed on its official website “certain polices” pertaining to its DRM control with Xbox One.

Microsoft has released the following statement pertaining to the new policy changes with the console:]
  • An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.
  • In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.
  • These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

“Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience,” reads the statement from Don Mattrick

“For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

“Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

“You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

“So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

“Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.”

An earlier report from Giant Bomb stated the announcement of these changes would be announced today, stating the firm would be dropping the 24-hour check ins, always online requirements, and that additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs would be dropped.

After trying to push the benefits of its new policies announced with the console such as, always online requirements, 24 hour check ins, and causing all sorts of arguments on the Internet, the firm has reversed its polices -something I have never, personally, seen a company do in such a capacity.

Stream:

DM Blazer

BulletProof
Founding Member
That some Fuckery there..... Seriously these rules are easy to understand but they limit you. If you are already paying for a yearly subscription, paid for the system, and paid for the game, then you should freely be able to do whatever you want. This is probably going to cause some people to switch over systems if PS4 doesn't do it.

And the last part where they will change policies if needed... They will do it after they see their console loosing customers.

After their Xbox one reveal that emphasized TV, many people were bored and didn't like that fact that they based their new console on changing the way you see TV. Once they were criticized they drastically announced their approach for E3 will strictly be games...

Also, they should've went with Xbox Infinite or Xbox infinity as the name

Stream:

DM Kinger

DM's Biggest Hippie
Founding Member
The once a day thing sux. I mean ppl have lives, we don't always want to sign in to the Microsoft gods every 24 hrs. Also, what happens if I'm halfway across the U.S and I don't sign in, what are they going to do?

Stream:

OUTL4W

gotta light?
Admin
Founder
Addict
added update...to M$ online DRM policies....

they caved...no matter what their PR says...