My ultimate First World Problem with the Xbox One

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Games By Russell Holly Dec. 27, 2013 12:15 pm
Sometimes I can be a little too nerdy for my own good, and after spending an hour trying to set up my Xbox One last night I have learned that my excessive silliness causes insanely unnecessary problems.
Earlier this year we upgraded to the 2013 Apple Time Capsule. It was important that we had something reliable in the house that included a place to back things up, and having an 802.11 ac network at home is important to me. Shortly after setting it up, one of us discovered that it was possible to use unconventional characters to form the SSID. In a fantastic moment of “just because we can” the 2.4GHz network was set to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ and the 5GHz network was set to ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ). That’s right, my SSD is an ASCII table flip and table restoration.
Not every device could read the SSIDs correctly, but almost everything could connect. Several laughs were had, but then we realized that almost everything wireless in the house was perfectly fine with the network ID looking like this so the SSIDs stayed. The only device that had issue connecting was the PlayStation 3, so we made a third network and labeled it “Stupid PS3 Network” and moved on.
Last night I brought home an Xbox One after spending a week arguing with myself over which next gen console I was going to buy first, and eagerly set forth on what turned out to be a painful adventure in network configuration.
How my SSID looks on OS X, Android, etc.

Unlike every other Microsoft product, the Xbox One couldn’t correctly read the SSID! I didn’t imagine this was going to be a problem, because the Xbox 360 that once occupied the same space on the entertainment center had no issues connecting to the awkwardly named wireless network. After several failed attempts to connect to either the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz networks, I assumed that the Day One update for the console would hold the solution to this problem. I connected to “Stupid PS3 Network” and installed the update. Unfortunately, nothing changed after the update was installed.
That’s right: despite its predecessor being perfectly capable of connecting to this same network, the Xbox One wouldn’t play along.
It’s possible that this is just the result of immature firmware, and a later update will add the functionality. It’s also possible that no reasonable person would expect Microsoft to support such a silly SSID, but it’s really hard to justify changing it when so many of my other devices have no problems connecting to it. This is obviously not a common use case here, but it’s too much fun not to keep it around. One thing is certain though, “Stupid PS3 Network” is no longer accurate.

More...