LG G2 Review

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
→ October 2, 2013 Android manufacturers have been trying their best to find ways to differentiate their devices from those of their competitors, with*some placing more emphasis on build quality, while others have put more time into software features or customization options. To make the new G2 stand out, LG has relocated all of the hardware buttons that are typically found around the edges of a phone, and re-grouped them into one place on the back of the device with what it calls the "Rear Key."
The G2 is about more than just button placement, though.*LG's incredibly high-powered, well-built,*and widely available smartphone is definitely worthy of being spoken of in the same breath as Samsung's Galaxy S4 and the HTC One—but is it enough to make you forget about what are arguably some the best Android phones to have ever been released? Read on to find out.

As expected, it takes a while to get used to the Rear Key. And after about 3 days of fumbling and searching, my index finger*finally started to remember where the*buttons were and how they're*meant to be used. The layout is a combination of a volume rocker and a standard Android power button that, for the most part, function exactly how they would if they were found along the edges. LG lets you quick launch the camera or the Richnote note-taking app by holding down either volume button, and*the company also implemented an optional feature it calls KnockOn, which lets you wake the device by double tapping the display, or put it to sleep by doing to same to the status bar or an empty space on any home screen.
The Rear Key works as advertised, but, after spending quality time with the device, I actually found the relocated buttons to be as problematic as they were intuitive. KnockOn is a useful feature I'd like to see on more phones—Nokia offers similar functionality on some Lumia devices—but having the buttons on the backside does add some extra steps in other places.
When the phone is face up on a flat surface, for example, changing the volume without picking up the device requires you to double tap the screen to wake the G2, take whatever steps you have in place for security, then pull down the status bar to find the volume slider. On the bright side, at least you no longer have to worry about accidental button presses when simply grasping the device.

It's important to note that Verizon's G2 is unique in a few ways. The US carrier exclusively includes wireless charging with its G2, and, as a result, the rear buttons are both flatter and thinner than those found on the version sold through other carriers and in other regions (like so). While*I didn't have a chance to play around with the non-Verizon model, I did find it hard to differentiate between the power and volume keys on Big Red's version. The Verizon G2 also features a single speaker on the bottom of the phone, while the alternate model is equipped with a set of stereo speakers in the same place.
Found on the opposite side of the Rear Key is an absolutely gorgeous, 5.2-inch IPS LCD display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, which results in a stunning pixel density of about 424 ppi. Content on the screen could be seen in direct sunlight across a wide range of viewing angles. Despite the larger the screen, the G2 is only slightly taller and wider than the 5-inch Galaxy S4. LG was able to achieve this feat by opting for on-screen buttons (which some Android users, including myself, prefer) and an incredibly thin bezel along the sides.
Powering the G2 is an impressive combination of a*2.26 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Krait 400 CPU and*Adreno 330 graphics. A vast majority of the time, the G2 and its Snapdragon 800 chip was blazingly quick, but it still suffered the occasional stutter when hopping around the power-hungry Android operating system.*A rare hiccup isn't a deal breaker, by any means, but it is a sign that LG's software tweaks—which aren't quite as plentiful as Samsung's TouchWiz UI, but aren't far behind—could be draining the phone of its precious resources.
Some of LG's alterations to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean are actually quite useful. Answering phone calls and responding to text messages*can be done through a small window that pops up without ever having to exit the app you're currently using. But the overabundance of other software features, like Slide Aside, which lets you dock up to three apps for quick access with an awkward three-finger swipe, and Smart video, which pauses video when not looking at the screen, are, for the most part,*completely unnecessary and will likely remain untouched by most users.
The monstrous 3000 mAh battery that comes with the G2 can keep you gaming, working, and browsing all day with no worries. It's one of the longest lasting Android batteries I've used, and you'd really have to make a conscious effort to see it completely depleted in a single work day. Overnight charging is still required, but you can rest assured knowing that you won't need to hunt for a microUSB cord during your typical day. Light users might even be able to get through two days between charges.
The G2's 13-megapixel camera is also one of the best I've seen—at least when used in optimal lighting. With a healthy source of natural light, photos and video came out crystal clear and full of color, whether shooting still subjects or moving objects. The camera also includes an abundant amount of options for taking photos, although some, like Beauty Shot, are much more gimmicky than others, such as HDR and the ability to remove unwanted objects from pictures with the Burst & Clear mode enabled.
When in low light situations, or if a majority of light is coming from artificial sources, the camera had the tendency*to produce*blurry and / or*noisy pictures. With proper software adjustments, photos came out better, but the process wasn't nearly as pain-free as it*was when dealing with*more natural settings.

More...