I never got into the MGS Series, is it worth playing?

Stream:

DM CptReilly

He's fizzy, he's ginger
Founder
Console: Headset:
I played the very beginning of Snake Eater a long time ago, and I had no idea wtf was going on so I gave it back to my friend. I know that these games are seen as some of the greatest games ever made so i wanted to check them out.

What order should they be played in (I think some are prequels)?

I know there is the HD collection for 360, but what about the games not included on that disc? What consoles are they available on? I have GC, PS2, in addition to my 360.

Stream:

DM Bowser

The Original Bowser™
Founding Member
You still have your GameCube? lol I still have my N64. i play pokemon stadium every once in a while haha and pokemon puzzle league too. love em <3

Stream:

DM CptReilly

He's fizzy, he's ginger
Founder
I still have my N64 too. Use it for OoT mostly.

Have the GC for RE4 and windwaker replays.

Stream:

DM Deathrow

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:lime;backgroun
I am a HUGE FAN of the seires. Honestly, I play it because it twists a western story concerning the US and other nations with lots of japanese art and style (characters are extremely unique which adds a lot of value on the game).

There is Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for your PS2. Then I recommend getting the HD collection for the 360 that includes Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and lastly Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

The rest of the holes in the story you can just look at the Wikipedia about that game. One of the best things is that the story and complexity to understand it requires additional reports and opinions to look out to. The story leaves a mystery and unknown purpose of event for Snake.

The game play requires lots of stealth and patience. If you're not into taking your time in this game you might become frustrated. Also the controls will not come regularly for you and will take some time to adapt.

The first game to play is Snake Eater. Although it is deemed the 3rd Metal Gear Solid, it is the prequel to the entire series. Technically, you could probably find Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the PS2 for around $5 on eBay or something.

Be advised, the PS2 version does have some issues and fans complained. First the frame rate issues will bug/annoy the shit out of anyone if they are looking for flawless game play. Even the 3DS version of Snake Eater has frame rate issues, but they are not extremely bad.

TL: DR
Recommended: HD collection if you got the ca$h
Must: buy Snake Eater for the PS2/rent it to try it out for yourself

Stream:

DM CptReilly

He's fizzy, he's ginger
Founder
Thanks DR, great info! I'll start looking for those titles.

Stream:

DM Undead_CORPSE69

The Senior Elite
WAIT theres still lik 2 more metal gears for the gameboy color............lmao

and yo bowser pokemon puzzle league is the shit ill whoop ur ass on the 3d one not the flat 2d one

Stream:

DM Bowser

The Original Bowser™
Founding Member
WAIT theres still lik 2 more metal gears for the gameboy color............lmao

and yo bowser pokemon puzzle league is the shit ill whoop ur ass on the 3d one not the flat 2d one
dude 3d is my specialty. me and giovanni will rape your ass all day errday

Stream:

DM DHomeboy

The King. 普
also PeaceWalker on PSP is really good too. I played the shit outta the demo lol

Stream:

DM Deathrow

also PeaceWalker on PSP is really good too. I played the shit outta the demo lol
Did you not read my statement? T_T

Cpt did not state whether he has a PSP or not, and I recommended him the HD collection for the 360 which already comes with Peace Walker..

in HD!

Stream:

DM KNIGHTParikh

KAMIKAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Founding Member
I am also a very huge fan of this series.

what I recommend, though, is to play them in order of release: MGS, then the HD Collection (MGS2, MGS3, Peace Walker). MGS4 is probably my favorite of them all.

Stream:

DM DHomeboy

The King. 普
yeah i heard MGS4 was suuuuper good.. thats the one that came out on ps3? and like on the trailer Snake was a old dude?

Stream:

DM DeadWithImpact

RAWR
Founding Member
Definetly go HD version, Peace Walker is a great game even though it's different in terms of what you can do.

Stream:

DM Lordlander

Founder
Founding Member
Dude, you have to play the first one. Start there. It's on Gamecube, It's called Twin Snakes (It's a remake of the ps1 version but it's essentially the same thing).

Stream:

DM Kinger

DM's Biggest Hippie
Founding Member
OMG! I remember playing MGS 1 on PS1. I bought Snake eater a couple years ago... great game, you get to know the characters stories so well.

Stream:

DM CptReilly

He's fizzy, he's ginger
Founder
Saw a combo pack used today and it had MGS1, 2 and 3 for PS2. It was $22. I'm headed back there tomorrow, I'm tempted to just buy it. Any thoughts on that?

Same place has the HD collection for $34 online... Hmmm.

Stream:

DM Lordlander

Founder
Founding Member
Saw a combo pack used today and it had MGS1, 2 and 3 for PS2. It was $22. I'm headed back there tomorrow, I'm tempted to just buy it. Any thoughts on that?

Same place has the HD collection for $34 online... Hmmm.
I haven't played the HD collection, but trust me, the first game is great, updated graphics or not. Actually, I think the HD collection doesn't come with the first game...

Stream:

DM Deathrow

I haven't played the HD collection, but trust me, the first game is great, updated graphics or not. Actually, I think the HD collection doesn't come with the first game...
It doesn't. The remake of MGS1 is The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube =O!

edit: while on topic, YES my avatar is BIG BOSS from the new unit "Diamond Dogs" which is currently part of a new MGS game under development. OH BOY OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!