GTAV Soundtrack Artist Spotlight: An Interview with The Chain Gang of 1974

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
In our latest GTA Online Sessions YouTube episode, we chat and play with GTAV soundtrack***39;s The Chain Gang of 1974 ("Sleepwalking").We recently hung out with Grand Theft Auto V soundtrack***39;s The Chain Gang of 1974 aka Kamtin Mohager - the act responsible for one of GTAV***39;s most signature tunes, "Sleepwalking" as heard in the game***39;s official trailer and original TV spot. Playing some GTA Online live together on the Rockstar Twitch channel, we chatted with him about Chain Gang and what he***39;s been up to since "Sleepwalking" first exploded across the airwaves of Radio Mirror Park. Check out the GTA Online Sessions YouTube episode above for some great highlights and read on for choice excerpts from the interview. On coming up with the name of his band..."I started the band at the very end of 2006 and at the time I was listening to a lot of The Raveonettes - and they had a record called Chain Gang of Love. So I took that and took the birth year of another artist of mine that I love, Ryan Adams, and got "The Chain Gang of 1974". I did realize it***39;s a bit long so I***39;m trying to retire the ***39;The***39; from the band name."On Daydream Forever coming out on vinyl..."We are working on it - I wish it was just a very easy thing. It***39;s cool because I am a big vinyl nerd and vinyl is definitely back. But that also means production takes a very long time. I did get the rights for it and it***39;s going to be coming into production very soon... its definitely going to happen this year."And on its release on cassette..."There is a kind of whole cassette thing going on right now and I just think it***39;s a fun way to release music and continue to allow things to be exciting for the fans and listeners so we***39;re just going to do a limited release of cassettes [in February]."On what exactly "Sleepwalking" is about..."Being emo and heartbroken, man [laughs].... No, I like writing music about that kind of stuff, its fun. I***39;m influenced by a lot of those kinds of bands and I think it***39;s very universal and people can relate to it. But yeah, just about an ex-girlfriend, that***39;s about it but... made it work. If it wasn***39;t for her, I wouldn***39;t have had a song in GTAV so there we go, round of applause to her."On the writing process..."The last two records I did [2011***39;s Wayward Fire and 2014***39;s Daydream Forever] I worked on with one of my good buddies, Isom Innis [of Foster the People]... him and I work in a certain way that***39;s very quick. We basically moved to Malibu and I think I went into the studio with a couple of ideas, but we just brought all our own gear, lived in the house for a month up in the hills and we came back with an 11 song record."On new project Teenage Wrist..."We want to do this thing in a very organic manner so basically we put the first single out ["Teenage Wrist"] and we were very excited how things kind of developed with it. People took notice, just randomly Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance found it and was talking about it and it was just a really cool thing to have that happen. I collaborated on the project with my good friend Marshall [Gallagher, of Swing Hero], who I went to high school with in Colorado and our drummer Anthony as well. We***39;re having fun with it, its cool to not be in an electronic band, just be in a kind of grungy rock band for a little bit. We***39;re getting ready to put the second single out... and then we***39;ll be announcing the album details pretty soon."Big thanks to Kam for stopping by and also to the community for asking some really great questions in the Twitch chat. You can catch the stream in its entirety here and to keep up with Kam, check out Chain Gang***39;s Facebook page and give a listen to Teenage Wrist***39;s first single, "Afterglow," below:previously:GTAV Soundtrack: Listen to Original New Songs Added from Flying Lotus, Jamie Lidell, Freddie Gibbs and MoreThe Music of Grand Theft Auto V: Limited Edition Soundtrack CD and Vinyl Box Sets Coming this December

More...