#GamingNews Destiny Review in Progress Discussion, Day 0

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Share.
The circle of loot, and an absorbing world.
By Vince IngenitoDay 0 of IGN's Destiny review-in-progress livestream is all wrapped up, so I decided to sit down with my friends and colleagues, Destin Legarie, Greg Miller, and John Ryan to discuss our day of play. Feel free to watch our snazzy video roundtable, where you can see all of our ugly mugs while we share our thoughts. Or, read on for a condensed version of what we discussed. The choice is yours. You have the power!
Destiny is a little tough to define in terms of existing genres, but its structure bears a lot of resemblance to that of an MMO. So if you're coming from Halo or Call of Duty, how hard is it to get started? What pulls you in, and what might push you away? Our first talk centers around exactly that.
Destin leads off with a notion that was certainly echoed by the rest of the panel: the loot gets its hooks into you quickly in Destiny. Greg summarized it well when he noted how no matter what level you are, you're looking two levels ahead for when you can finally equip that next sweet pulse rifle that's been sitting in your inventory, waiting for you to reach the appropriate level.
As for me, I was surprised by the potential of the loot game in Destiny. It doesn't seem like it will have the kaleidoscopic variety of a Borderlands, but the various mods and upgrades that can be unlocked and purchased over time lead to some surprisingly interesting gear decisions to make. One chestplate might reduce your grenade cooldowns, while another might award you with bonus ammo capacity for a particular class of guns. Hopefully those possibilities continue to widen well into Destiny's late-game.
Towards the tail of our discussion, John Ryan mentioned how pulled in he was by the feel of the world, and I have to whole-heartedly agree. Bungie are master world-builders, and tons of tiny details and design choices, from the event scripting, to the scale and style of the architecture help sell the illusion of a vast world. We know it started with humankind reaching Mars, which heralded a golden age - one shortly followed by ruin.
I don't know if the actual plot will suck me in, but the overall world of Destiny makes me want to learn more about it, and ultimately, save it, and that's a good start.
Be sure to tune in to our livestream again tomorrow morning at 10 am, where I'll be playing a bunch more, and divulging details on how to win a PS4 Destiny bundle.
Vincent Ingenito is IGN's foremost fighting game nerd.*Follow him on Twitter*and argue with everything he says about them.
Cheats & Secrets Destiny
Destiny Characters
IGN Destiny Walkthrough
Tips and Tricks Destiny
Dead Ghost Locations
Gold Loot Chests Destiny Locations

More...